Banks Geoscience Limited (previously Banks Consulting Limited) was formed in 1992 to provide geological and geophysical consultancy services to oil companies, governments, banks and universities. The directors, Nigel and Fay Banks, have a combined total of more than 50 years experience in the upstream petroleum business and they have both worked for major oil companies and as consultants.
The business operates from a former farmhouse on the outskirts of Oxford, England. This provides spacious, secure and well-equipped offices in an easily accessible yet tranquil, rural setting. For larger projects Banks Geoscience works with experienced associates to provide our clients with a comprehensive and very flexible service.
In addition to consultancy services Banks Geoscience can offer a variety of training courses in the fields of geology, geophysics, subsurface mapping, petroleum engineering and report writing and presentation skills. These can be customised to meet each client's individual needs.
We aim to offer clients the highest level of technical quality delivered through the combination of our wide experience and the latest technology. Services include:
- Geological and Geophysical Studies
- Exploration and Production
- North Sea & International (especially FSU, Africa and Europe)
- Reservoir Modelling including geostatisitics
- 3D and 2D Seismic Interpretation
- Sequence and Seismic Stratigraphy
- Unitisation and Equity Studies
- Basin Modelling & Geochemical studies
- Prospect Evaluation
- Reserves Evaluations and Technical Audits
- Advice on acquisitions, divestments and new business development
ASSISTANCE TO GOVERNMENTS
During the last twenty years Nigel Banks has assisted several governments and national oil companies in evaluating their country's petroleum potential and in attracting foreign investment for petroleum exploration. Several of these projects were financed by the World Bank or the United Nations. Major projects have been undertaken in South Africa, Namibia, Guatemala, Zaire, Zambia, Croatia, Argentina and the Caribbean.
Areas of assistance have included:
- Retrieval and organisation of petroleum related data
- Evaluation of exploration potential
- Estimation of reserves in producing fields
- Gas utilisation studies
- Developing strategies for attracting future investment
- Advising on organisation and marketing of licensing rounds
- Production of data packages
- Organising promotional seminars
- Advice on negotiations with oil companies
- Training of national staff
Nigel Banks has been involved in oil industry training for twenty years both through university teaching on M.Sc programmes (currently at Imperial College London) and by providing courses direct to oil companies. Courses currently offered are:
- Introduction to the Oil Industry for non-technical staff
- Basic subsurface mapping
- Basin analysis and seismic interpretation
- Report writing and presentation skills
Together with associates we can also offer course in geophysics, log analysis, reservoir engineering, reservoir simulation and hydrogeology.
Banks Geoscience has worked for more than 30 clients since its inception in 1992. These have included major and independent oil companies, national oil companies, major consulting companies, universities, and commercial training organisations.
Projects have ranged in length from one day to seven years with several clients providing repeat business.
Case Studies provides a few examples from the wide range of services that have been provided.
Countries that we have studied include:
|Europe: ||UK, Ireland, Norway, Netherlands, Russia, Croatia, Bosnia, Italy|
|Africa: ||Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Ghana, Nigeria, Gabon, Angola, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, Madagascar, Kenya, Sudan|
|Middle East: ||Yemen, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Georgia|
|Asia: ||India, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Malaysia, Vietnam, China, Pakistan |
|South America: ||Venezuela, Bolivia, Colombia|
We work with several experienced associates who allow us to provide a wide range of services to the highest standards. Our associates are mainly independent consultants or specialist companies and they are all highly regarded in their areas of expertise.
Areas in which we can provide associate expertise are listed below together with some direct contact details or links.
- Reservoir engineering and Reservoir simulation
- Core description, sedimentological studies & associated training
- Regional geological and geophysical studies worldwide (outside our own areas of expertise)
- Drafting and graphics expertise (used to working with geologists!)